Sunday, January 20, 2008

20JAN08
It's a nogo

Here's a funny little story...so I accept this job back in November with the Army Corps of Engineers to go spend 13 months working in Kabul right? I turned down a couple other offers for jobs here in ATL so I could take this one, btw. My first deployment was scheduled for 06JAN then it got pushed back to 21JAN (tomorrow) because of the holidays. This last week they played a wicked game of tug o' war -- you're cancelled. No, you're going. No, you're cancelled. No, you're going. Finally on Thursday afternoon I was advised that the folks in Kabul rescinded the offer and my deployment was cancelled.

Here I am, got rid of my TV, mattress, box spring, dishes, pots and pans, etc because the plan was to buy new ones when I got back in a year. The remainder of my stuff is in storage and I have no job. Pretty funny huh?! At least now I still have time to salvage some time for training for a few races this season!

Well....maybe. I still have a couple options with contractors -- not the US gov't -- to work in Kabul again. Meanwhile, I'm just leaving it up in God's hands to take me where I'm supposed to go. I mean, what better time than now to start something new right? We'll see what happens. I had an interview on Friday that went pretty well and I'll hear back from that firm by Tuesday. I'd be working in the ATL metro area with little travel outside of it for work. Plus, they're building a new office like 2 minutes from where I was living so YIPPEE!!!! Of course, I'd have to find a new place to live but I'd stay in that area. I needed to get out of that old house anyway.

In the meantime, I think I'll go ride tomorrow...or take the dog for a hike...in the middle of the day....just because I can!

No comments: